Pages

Thursday 27 October 2011

Failed Freedom

My heart beat faster; my feet hit the ground harder. I had to escape! He ran quickly behind me, his hunting dogs by his side. He screamed at them to run faster. They obeyed. Summoning more energy, I too ran faster. The dogs barked furiously. They were close. So close! No. I would not be dragged back to slavery. I was going to be a free African American woman! Ahead, mere yards away, was the border line. Freedom. I was almost there! My pace slowed, but I quickly sped up again. That small amount of time was all the dogs needed. They pounced on me, threw me to the ground. The slave catcher caught up and laughed. I tried to get up, but the dogs had me pinned to the ground. A scream caught in my throat. "This one isn't worth much. Only a few hundred dollars. I could catch more slaves for much more than that!" he said to himself. Then to the dogs he said, "You boys hungry?" It was then that I recognized him. He was the most feared slave catcher around! This cruel man would starve is dogs, so that given the command, they would feed on slave flesh! The dogs snarrled and ripped at my body with their razzor sharp teeth and claws. Unbearable pain swept through me. Meat was torn from my bones. The slave catchers laugh rang through my bloody ears. After one last failed attempt to remove the savage beasts from on top of me, I closed my eyes, and fell into an endless sleep.